An incredible day (it's now Friday morning). Fernando picked me up at 9 and I got home at 10.45--almost a 14-hour day. An amazing series of meetings, first (after the usual waiting for everyone to turn up!) with a group of associate teachers involved in the project, then a discussion with people from 2 other universities. In between, a taxi to the Central Market where the range of produce, fish and cheese at incredibly low prices was breath-taking. Then a walk through the centre of the city to a restaurant that does an amazing business at lunch (www.domino.cl)--at 2.15 PM we had to wait 10 minutes to get a table but had a tasty lunch and more good conversation. After a walk back to the university and the meeting with people from other universities, it was time for a 75-minute meeting with the university Principal. At this point I had lost Fernando, who had to teach a class at another university, so the translations weren't as good but it was still interesting. Finally, 75 minutes with Rodrigo's class of students doing their degree at night while working by day. Then, after 9, to a nearby restaurant for a beer and snacks and more good conversation until 10.30. Enrique and I walked to the subway together and then it was just 5 minutes further for me to get home.
LaVerne enjoyed another day of exploring, including the Central Market--she was very glad that I too had been able to see it. Today she is booked onto a 9-hour tour to Valparaiso and I'm booked to leave here at 8, going I know not where until 5 PM when I give a public talk at another university. There will be a final project meeting after lunch to wrap up that part of my time here. Tomorrow it's on to the Atacama desert. Pictures to follow when there's time!